Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers...


So ignore the previous post. I found this line from Pottery Barn and although it's beyond our budget x 3, I thought, hey, I could make it and make it even cuter x 3 (with my mom's spectacular sewing skills of course, because, let's face it, I have none). I love the mix and match of patterns and the non-overboard pink but still girly look. That's more like it. (I like the top picture better as it shows a little more color thrown in, although it's not the crib bedding).
But then I was looking online as to how much fabric such a project was going to take (since , of course I'd be drawn to the expensive fabrics) and started reading all these articles and posts about how babies can suffocate because of crib bumpers. Argh. Doesn't everyone use bumpers? But now I'm thinking is it worth the risk? Or am I just being paranoid? Sigh. I guess it would be a good excuse not to spend all the money and labor for a bumper and could still make a cute skirt and quilt and splurge the $16 for the authentic PB sheet? Haha.
What do you think? Bumpers. Yay or nay?
And do you love this look better? I was thinking instead of birds (not a huge fan of birds) and trees I could applique elephants or owls? Hmmm?

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

I love it! When you guys get it done, you need to post pictures for sure!

We've used a bumper for Jonas since he's been sleeping in his crib...I think just about everything is a suffocation/choking hazard for little babies. That's my personal opinion...I guess I'm one of those moms who should probably worry more about my kid than I do. Anyways, as Jonas got a little older we were happy we had the bumper since it kept his binkies in the crib. When we would visit people who had cribs without the bumper, if Jonas lost his binkie in the middle of the night it was the end of the world! Tough choice! Good luck what ever you decide. Maybe when I have this kid in August, you and your mom can help me sew something up? :)

Unknown said...

I love your style! You have the best taste. And I agree - basically everything is a hazard, cancer-causing, risky thing. I used bumpers with all my kids and loved it. No little arms or legs stuck in the bars at night...

The Catmull Crowd said...

I love owls!!! Owls or the elephants would be cool... I tried not using bumper pads... and my kid would hit his head a lot and wake up, because lets face it... it hurt! My last kid actually likes to plant her face in the corner of the bumper and thats how she falls asleep... and yes she is still alive, and breathing... if that makes you feel any better :) I want to see your final project!

Misty said...

I use bumpers... I like them. I love the bedding! I wanted to do birds at first, but then found what I have for cheaper. I opted for that.

Cori Henderson said...

I love that bedding from pottery barn. I have been drooling over it for over a year now and have wished I had the budget to buy it for both my girls:) So cute!
I used bumpers for my girls and never thought twice about it. They would always put their backs against it while they slept.