Friday, August 21, 2009

Garden 09

This year we did quite a bit more with our garden than last year. We tried a few new things and learned a few more things, too. We love watching things grow and are always amazed at the miracle it is that things actually turn out with little effort on our part. So here's a little sample of what we have harvested so far: peas (2 varieties), red and Yukon Gold (?) potatoes, scallions, cucumbers, yellow/cherry/grape/big boy tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, corn (2 varieties), and unlimited amounts of summer squash and zucchini.

Hudson loves "helping" in the garden. Mostly picking things that aren't ready yet and watering. He loves eating the corn on the cob and the carrots.

We also have some other things that are still in the works:
Large pumpkins

My favorite thing from last year: Mini pumpkins

Cantaloupe. I hope it gets bigger and ready to eat before frost hits. Everyone always says it's nearly impossible to grow cantaloupe in Utah, but this one is well on it's way.

And something we've never tried before: Watermelon. I hope it, too, gets big and ready to eat before it's too late!

5 comments:

Cori Henderson said...

Good for you! Those look so good!

Unknown said...

You guys are incredible gardeners. It all looks so wonderful!

The CHAFFIN'S said...

good job! I can't wait to do my garden next year :) love ya

KS said...

I love these pictures, such a colorful garden!! : ) I wish I were a better gardener... it's a skill I've always wanted, but have struggled with having enough patience/dedication... I'm so impressed!! And little Hudson is a doll, way to go for getting him started young! :)

Autumn said...

SO cool! I'd love to know if your watermelon turns out. We only tried it once w no luck-I don't know if its the wrong climate or what? Ellie's dying to watch the above movie again, she loves the noise (wank wank)-or however you'd type it phonetically.