Sunday, February 22, 2009

Our Trax Adventure


Yesterday we decided to be adventurous and ride UTA Trax up to the Gateway. And an adventure it was. We felt ridiculous because we had quite the time trying to figure out what we were doing as far as buying our tickets and getting on the train. It cost us $9 round trip to get from 90th South in Sandy to the Gateway and it took at least a half hour to get there. It would have been totally cheaper and faster to just drive, but we went for the experience and to let Hudson ride the "train". We were about 2 minutes too late for the train we wanted, but after the 15 minutes it took us to buy our tickets (crazy, I know), another one was there.
On our way north we chatted with a kid named Andrew from Boston who is going to school at the U. That was pretty interesting and he was a funny guy. He's only been here for 2 months and was worried about coming to live with all the crazy Mormons out in hick town, but says he really likes Utah now.
We had planned to take Hudson to the Discovery thing they have at the Gateway. We were about the 3rd people in line to buy tickets when an alarm went off saying there was an emergency in the building and we needed to evacuate. So we did. We went to a few other stores to kill some time. When we were about to go back in to Discovery, Hudson said he was hungry and it was dinner time, so we decided to hurry and eat first. By the time we were done eating, there were only about 2 hours left until it closed, and Hudson said his tummy hurt, so we decided it wasn't worth the $25 it would cost for only 2 hours, so we decided to bag it and do it another day.
Jeff and I weren't very exited about riding Trax back to our car but there wasn't anything we could do about it. Hudson fell asleep and Jeff almost did. I just enjoyed watching all the crazy people. And there were plenty of those. I must admit, Jeff and I were slightly scared by some of the passengers (ok. most. Afterwards, Jeff said he wished he would have been packin'.) , but I was also pleased to see a few unlikely people having conversations with each other.
Anyway, my advice is if you haven't ridden Trax and are up for an adventure, you should do it at least once. If you are looking for a faster or cheaper way to get to Salt Lake from Utah county, there isn't one. Just drive. If you are worried about paying for parking, save your Trax ticket money and use it for $5 or $6 dollar parking (which you can get validated with a purchase at Gateway).
Finally, all I can say is public transportation freaks me out. I don't know how people do it in big cities. I would get so lost and wouldn't know what the heck I was doing and I would be so scared all by myself. I was just glad I had Jeff with me.
***
I've been wanting to post a couple of funny things Hudson has said. It seems as though he is as obsessed with blogging as I am since he is now using the word "blog" in a lot of his conversations. A few days ago he was running around pretending to be Lightning McQueen (something he does all the time) and he pretended to crash and said "I just ran into a blog!" And today he was looking out the window at the mountains and said, " There's snow on the mountains. I see a blog up there."
***
Today at church, Jeff was tapping his fingers on Hudson's head. Hudson said, "There's a horse on my head!"

***
Sometimes when Hudson is blessing his food, he also prays to bless Oakley's (our dog) food to be good for his body. Isn't he thoughtful? :)

No comments: