Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sewing Doesn't Bring Out the Best In Me...

My mom is an excellent seamstress. She used to make wedding dresses, she's reupholstered boat seats and trailer cushions, and could/can sew pretty much anything. I wish I would have learned more from her growing up. I am not a sewer. Every once in a while I attempt, thinking it will be an easy project, and then things never turn out as expected. I never have a pattern or a plan, I just slap things together and hope it works. And something always goes wrong.
I also get consumed in my projects, ignoring my household duties and my family....my personal hygeine....just to get done whatever I'm doing. Well, I decided to make this baby blanket as a gift for someone. It's pretty cute, from a distance. But if you look closely you'll see my crooked lines and many other signs of impatience and lack of sewing skills. I can't decide if I want to give it as a gift because it's kind of embarrassing how many mistakes are in it, or if I should still give it and just hope they appreciate the love and effort that went into it, or if I should keep it for myself (hoping someday I'll have a girl) because so much blood, sweat and tears (the tears are literal, blood almost) went into it, it's hard to part with. All I can say is thank goodness for seam rippers or I would have just burned the dang thing.
So I finished the blanket yesterday. At about 7 pm I decided to get ready for the day. Jeff was being a good husband, making dinner for us on the bbq. He said dinner was ready but I wasn't ready yet. Long story short, the dinner burned. Jeff was frustrated that I didn't come out on time and was venting. I was frustrated that he was so frustrated because I was still emotional from the sewing. I spent the rest of the night not talking to Jeff and being testy. Then later that night, one little thing (which was really nothing) set me off and I stormed off to the freezing cold back porch crying. Jeff came out with Hudson a few minutes later to say sorry (which they didn't really need to do, they were just being nice). Hudson was trying to give me kisses. Since it was so cold, Jeff was trying to tell Hudson I just needed to be alone and to come in the house, but Hudson said "Carry her in the house, Daddy. It's cold out here." Jeff had him scratch my back and give me hugs and tried to get him to come in again, but Hudson wouldn't leave me and kept telling Jeff to carry me in the house. It was so sweet, I love my little boy. And my big boy. I'm sorry I was so awful, guys! I love you!

So here is the blanket that caused so much emotional havoc:

The little squares have raw edges so they will hopefully get frayed in the wash. Do you think I should wash it before I give it as a gift? I kind of want to see the outcome. Or should I even give it at all? Is that terrible for me to even think about keeping it?

5 comments:

Andrea - said...

It's beautiful!!! It's a unique gift of love, made with your blood, sweat and tears.

Unknown said...

You are the coolest person ever. I too have a real love/hate - actually no love - relationship with sewing and my mom can sew anything also; so I totally remember having similar episode(s) earlier in my life.

My projects never turned out even close to good, however. You blanket is fabulous and the sweat and toil only makes it better.

I say wash it first.

The CHAFFIN'S said...

OHHH MY GOSH THAT IS GORGEOUS!!!! Nichole you are amazing and you can sew!!! Trust me I have seen blood sweat and tears from MOM's sewing as well! LOL It all works out in the end and your blanket is prof that it does. As for your little man how dang sweet is that of him to tell Daddy to carry her in the house! NOW JEFF....why didn't you carry her in the house?!? LOL I love you all

Ashley said...

I agree with Laura, wash it first. I think the blanket turned out great. I would love to get something like that, especially if I knew it was made with all the effort you put into it.

Misty said...

That is a beautiful quilt. No one will care if there are crooked lines in it. They will be amazed that you sewed it yourself. I would wash it first as well. I would totally understand if you kept that blanket for yourself. Just make another one! LOL