Friday, May 1, 2009

Quilt Update

So.

I washed the quilt.

I apprehensively put it in the washer, watched the water fill up, and held my breath as the agitator started. I just stood there for a few minutes...watching. Maybe subconsciously sending good vibes and well wishes to the little blanket. Or maybe to the washer saying "Please be kind to my little piece of work".

Then I shut the lid and walked away. I pounded out 3 miles on the treadmill. Then I went to see what was in store for me in the washer. It wasn't good.

It was in shreds.

Almost all of my little squares had fallen off or were just hanging by a thread. Some were missing entirely and must have been eaten by the washer. The bigger purple squares had a lot of seams that had come undone, too.

Maybe it was all the endorphins I had running through my body from having just exercised, or maybe it was just one of those "I've-lost-it.-No,-I've-really-lost-it-and-this-was-the-last-straw-and-send-me-to-the-loony-bin-now-please" kind of laughs, but that's what I did when I pulled that poor, tattered blanket out of the washer--laughed.

Oh well. I have since started to work on fixing it and it will now be even more "shabby chic" than anticipated. Isn't it great that that kind of thing is in style so we can pass off our mistakes as intentional shabbiness?

This little setback made me miss my deadline for the gift giving, so...ummmm....I think I'll be keeping it? We'll see. But I'm so glad I decided to wash it first. How embarrassing would that have been to have given it as a gift and the first time it was washed it all fell apart? Whew.

Oh, and thanks for all your compliments and words of encouragement and advice!

5 comments:

Tami said...

Oh that is so sad! It is a beautiful quilt Nichole I am sure it will look fabulous again when you put it back together. Plus sometimes unfortunately we learn things the hard way. THe next quilt you make will be so much easier!!
great job ob running too that is awesome!!

Misty said...

That's so sad about your quilt, but you're right, it's a good thing you washed it before. I washed everything I got before I used it. I'm assuming you used the delicate cycle. I'm sure you're going to make it look even better!

You know this all work out for a reason right? So you could keep it! lol

Autumn said...

Oh my gosh-I feel your pain in so many regards! First and foremost about how difficult it is to even sew-I have a hilarious story I want to type to accompany my post as well! And secondly, because once I put it in the wash, it too frayed---too much! And your blanket is sooo pretty. I don't think I have it in me to create something so pretty! I'll be interested to know what you'll do in the end-keep it or not?

The Catmull Crowd said...

How frustrating! Working that long on something and then having it wash away in the washer... that sucks! But the quilt did look really cute before! I can't sew, but am amazed at your talent... i usually give up and make my mom do it.

Cori Henderson said...

I'm so sorry! Kudos for even making a quilt, I wish I coul!! But you know what, I LOVE the shabby vintage look. Makes everything look even better. Goo job on running too! I hate the treadmill, but I try to pound out 3 miles, even when I don't want to. Its hard. Keep it up!!!