Thursday, November 20, 2008

Homesick for SAMOA!



Last year at this time, Jeff's parents took us to Samoa where they had recently served a mission. It was the experience of a lifetime and Jeff and I fell in love with Samoa. We love the people, the culture, the beauty of the island....everything! We are "homesick" for it and hope we can return someday. Until then, we will just have to rely on pictures and the great memories we have of it.

I also just wanted to add, as Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up, that the Samoans have the very BASIC necessities. Food (that they catch in the ocean or grow for the most part), clothing (not a lot, and nothing fancy), and shelter (literally just a thatched roof over their heads). Nothing else. Yet these are the happiest people in the world. They love life, they are always singing, they are so happy and friendly and giving. I love that about the Samoan people and I hope we can all remember to be truly thankful for all the things we have in our lives...especially the things that are the most important. The things that are still there when you take all the material things away.

3 comments:

mE said...

Nichole!

It looks like you had SO MUCH FUN! I can see why you'd feel somewhat "homesick" :) We lived in Hawaii when I was a teeny kid but I'd love to go to Samoa someday. The music on your player is so cheerful and fun and it's making me want to be at a Luau!!!

Cori Henderson said...

I am so jealous, that looks like so much fun. It does make me thankful though for all we have. Sometimes though, I feel homesick for Hawaii, even though I haven't been there since I was 16.

Gina said...

OK was that Larry doing that Samoan dance?!? Ha ha I was laughing. Very cool!